Songkran, the traditional Thai New Year, is the merriest festival in Thailand which starts on April 13 every year and last for 3 days. Although it has religious significance, it always turns in to great fun of splish and splash. Everyone gets soaking wet and since it is the hottest season of the year, the custom is quite refreshing.
Few Advices during Songkran Celebrations!
1. you are recommended to put on casual inexpensive clothing
2. An expensive watch and jewelry should be left in a safe place at home or in your hotel safety deposit box
3. Don’t forget to cover your camera/mobile phone with a plastic bag if you’re going to bring it along.
4. No celebration is complete without food and drinks! But when it comes to drinking, try to stay away from drunkenness.
5. The ground is also wet. If you’re under the influence of alcohol, it’s easy to be prone to accidents.
6. If you want to show your goodwill and pour water over someone, you may greet them with a well-wishing phrase “Suk San Wan Songkran” meaning “Happy Songkran Day”.
7. Ladies, perhaps Songkran isn’t the time to wear your new white tube top. If you look at least somewhat respectable you are far less likely to get unwanted attention, or grabs, from men a few drinks deep.
8. Please take extra caution when driving. Some celebration can be taking place on the road and might be quite distracting. Every driver must always focus. Don’t drive too fast – and most importantly, don’t drink and drive!!!!!
Thai Visa Expert Team.