Pattaya, 13 June 2011 [PDN]: the Senate Committee on Natural Resources and Environment (SCNRE) along with the Banglamung municipality inspected the mouth of Banglamung canal at Lamchabang beach, which had been eroded since the construction of Lamchabang Port.
The city was concerned that the upcoming Lamchabang Port Phase 3 construction would cause similar problems to the beach and living areas.
The residents living in the region where Lambang Phase 3 project would be constructed were worried that the project would significantly affect their living situation, according to Paradee Jongsukthanamanee, the Vice President of SCNRE.
The people had the rights to be worried because the Port Authority of Thailand still had not address the issues associated with Lamchabang Port 1 and 2 constructions, Paradee said.
The SCNRE suggested that the Port Authority of Thailand postponed the project until the tripartite committee were established to find the solutions for the upcoming phase 3 project.
Sonti Kachawat, the secretary of SCNRE outlined the suggested solutions for Lamchabang Port Phase 3 as discussed by the sub-committee panel.
These suggestions are made specifically for Port Authority of Thailand:
1. Report on how the three Port phases have impacted the environment as well as written proposed solutions addressing the corresponding issues.
2. An establishment of a tripartite committee to thoroughly assess the project.
3. Develop rapport and relationship with the people involved in the project and those living in the affected area.
4. Annually report on the environmental effects in the construction area.
5. Take into consideration suggestions of local residents and offer tangible solutions to the society.
6. Save the environment by reducing pollution.
7. Set up a budget for the Concrete Corporate Social Responsibility Project.
A Banglamung resident, Nipa Henghuad voiced her point of view on the subject.
The Port Authority of Thailand always disregards the impacts that the ports have on people’s lifestyles and occupation, Nipa said.
If Lamchabang Port Phase 3 were constructed, the local people would have no safe place to live because potential issues such as erosions, wastewater production, ecological affects and accidents would hinder people from living in the area, Nipa added.
Another Banglamung resident, Chusri Yamyeon stated that Lamchabang Port has stolen the beauty of Lamchabang bay.
Since the construction of the port and the ship repair company, the beautiful beach has turned into unpleasant seashore, Chusri said adding that Lamchabang Port brings absolutely no advantage for the people living in the area.