Things to Consider When Picking an Appropriate Location to Advertise Your Product :
1. You need to choose the busiest, top-ranking website with the most random hits. However, the advertising rates on such websites are usually highly expensive
2. You want to pick the website which is closest related to your particular product and one that will screen your potential clients.
3. Broaden your field. Choose to advertise on as many websites as possible, rather than relying only on one website.
4. Create many different banner styles and colours, specifically those that attract the eye. Banners, like everything else have a low public tolerance level. They should be changed at least every 3 months or run at random. Research indicates, however, that the average life cycle of a banner is about 2 weeks, after that the number of hits/clicks will rapidly reduce.
Do some research to discover why your website is not popular. Here are some reasons for general unpopularity:
1. Too obscure. Nobody knows your website, therefore you have to promote it using a good, high-ranking platform.
2. Nobody can remember your website, because it has the wrong name, is too similar to others with nothing to distinguish it, or it is too difficult to type, or spell.
3. Your website is dead in the water, with no update information, slow to access, has the wrong information and is atrocious looking.
4. Some websites try too hard to appear different. Whereas most websites put their menus along the left-hand-sides, some put them along the bottom or the right-hand-sides. Research indicates most users prefer standardization, i.e. left-hand and top menus, don’t go too far from the established norm. Go for the intuitive approach where visitors don’t have to think for 5 seconds about what to click on. If they do, you’ll lose them.
5. Your website is very difficult to use due to having a slow server, always being down, or is under attack by web-bandits, intent in seeding it with malware.
IF your website suffers from any of the above conditions, DON”T EVEN BOTHER TO ADVERTISE AT ALL. You’ll just be throwing your money away. Also because it’s often easier to remember the negative points of things, because your visitors/viewers will have bad first impression, they will remember the bad things and you will be consigned to oblivion.