Pattaya, the 13th of March 2009 [PDN]: Mr. Prayoon Aum Papun of TOT and Mr. Ittipon Khunpleum, Pattaya City Mayor, on behalf of Pattaya City Management signed an agreement to install Internet WiFi and to upgrade Pattaya as an “IT City”. It will become the first tourist destination in Thailand provide this high technology service.
Mr. Ittipon said that such a development will have the following benefits:
1. It will improve the image of Pattaya to attract more visitors and elevate Pattaya to a city of international standing. It will also have a positive effect on the local economy.
2. Improved services for foreigners and investors, education and the general public.
3. It will attract other new technology systems to further develop the City
4. It will provide motivation for related projects in the future.
5. It will set an example as a way to improve or change the image of tourist attractions and make Thailand a better country to visit.
TOT will invest on this project by providing high speed WiFi to cover a 3 km stretch along Pattaya beach road [from North to South Pattaya], together with Walking street to Bali Hai pier.
The mayor said this was an innovative scheme and a co-operation between various government divisions. The TOT WiFi should boost both local and international tourism which is estimated to total some 6 million visitors a year.